Лекция: In a Department Store
Pretty girl: I want to buy a coat.
Assistant: Coats are upstairs on the next floor.
Fat man: Where can I get a hot meal?
Assistant: The restaurant is on the tenth floor.
Little girl: I want to buy some bottles of fruit juice.
Assistant: They are on the next counter on your left, dear.
Tall lady: I want some tins of tomato paste.
Assistant: Try the supermarket in the basement.
Gentleman: Could you tell me where the travel agency is?
Assistant: It’s right next to the restaurant on the tenth floor.
Student: I want to buy a football.
Assistant: Take the lift to the sports department. It’s on the top floor.
Little boy: Could you tell me where the telephone is?
Assistant: It’s on the twelfth floor opposite the photographer’s.
Twins: Could you tell us the time please?
Assistant: Yes. It’s exactly twenty-two minutes to ten.
1. – Hallo. Kitty here. Could I speak to Peter, please?
– Sorry, but he’s out.
2. – Hallo. Patrick Cowel speaking. Could I talk to Stella, please?
– I’m afraid she’s not here. Can you call later?
3. – You will stay a bit longer, won’t you?
– Sorry, I can’t. I promised my baby-sitter to be back at ten at the latest.
4. – What do you think of the place?
– Oh, it’s a delightful spot!
5. – I think I’ve lost the passports, Daddy.
– How stupid of you, Peter. Didn’t you put them in your pocket?
6. – Would you like some cream in your coffee, Mrs. Clark?
– No, thank you. But I’d like a little milk.
7. – I must apologize for all the trouble we’ve caused.
– Oh, it’s no trouble at all.
8. – Where did I put my screwdriver? I want to tighten up these loose screws (ослабленные болты) on the door hinges (дверные петли).
– You had it in your hand when you went into the kitchen right now.
9. – How have your two sons been doing at school lately, Andy?
– I don’t know what I should do: Richard never starts working, and Greg never stops slaving («пахать») at his books.
10.– Have you heard that young Patrick Ellis has been fired?
– How awful! He’s forgotten a golden rule: ‘Never blackmail or bribe managers’.
11. – Would you mind putting out your cigarette?
– I beg your pardon?
– This is a ‘no smoking’ compartment!
– Is it? I didn’t see the sign. I’m terribly sorry.
I: Are you OK?
J: Yes, I’m all right, but what about my car?
I: There’s not too much damage.
J: What! Just look at it! I only bought it last week. You shouldn’t have been going so fast.
I: Well, I’m sorry, but it wasn’t my fault.
J: Wasn’t your fault? What do you mean? I had right of way (право преимущественного проезда).
I: I’m afraid you didn’t. You shouldn’t have come out like that.
J: Why not? There’s no sign.
I: What's that there then?
J: Oh, yes. A ‘stop’ sign. I must have missed it.
I: Well, you should be more careful. You could have killed us all!
J: Yes… I’m sorry. What more can say?
I: All right… all right. At least nobody’s hurt. Here come the police. You’d better explain it to them.
13. – How’s his sister?
– She’s much better as I know.
14. – Lock the door and sit down.
– Why? What’s the matter?
15. – How should I help?
– Mm… Wash the linen and press (iron) the clothes.
16. – What did he say about Miss Grey?
– He said she was pretty.
17. – Those children are absolutely unbearable.
– Don’t be too hard (суровый) on them.
18. – Are there many English books in your collection?
– Not many, but they are all worth reading.
19. – Will you take part in the project?
– I think the game is not worth the candle.
20. – How should I keep these things?
– You should keep them at a room temperature.
21. – How should he improve his phonetics?
– He should produce the sounds more carefully.
22. – Do you know why he’s so upset?
– His friends have cracked some ruthless jokes (пошутили). It’s disgusting!
1 Ефимова, Р. Н. Фонетика: Начинаем читать, писать и говорить по-английски / Р. Н. Ефимова. – СПб.: КАРО, 2004. – 144 с.
2 Baker, Ann. Ship or sheep? An intermediate pronunciation course / Ann Baker. – Cambridge University Press, 2006. – 173 p.