Лекция: Read the texts and guess the meaning of the words in bold
1) I’m an office worker in an insurance company. It’s a nine-to-five job with regular working hours. The work isn’t very interesting, but I like to be able to go home at a reasonable time.
We all have to clock in and clock out every day. In this company, even the managers have to, which is unusual!
2) I’m in computer programming. There’s a system of flexitime in my company, which means we can work when we want, within certain limits. We can start at any time before eleven, and finish as early as three, as long as we do enough hours each month. It’sideal for me as I have two young children.
3) I work in a car plant. I work in shifts. I may be on the day shift one week and the night shift the next week. It’s difficult changing from one shift to another. When I change shifts, I have problems changing to a new routine for sleeping and eating.
4) I’m a commercial artist in an advertising agency. I work in a big city, but I prefer living in the country, so I commute to work every day, like thousands of other commuters. Working from home using a computer and the Internet is becoming more and more popular, and the agency is introducing this: it’s called teleworking or telecommuting. But I like going into the office and working with other people around me.
Which person (1-5) is most likely to do each of the five things (a-e)?
1) A software designer in an Internet company. He has to be in the office.
2) An office worker in a large, traditional manufacturing company.
3) A manager in a department store in a large city. Helives in the country.
4) A construction worker on a building site where work goes on 24 hours a day.
5) A technical writer for a city computer company. He lives in the country.
a) work in shifts
b) work under a flexitime system
d) commute to work
e) clock on and off at the same time every day
2. Define the adjectives into four groups: 1) the work is interesting and gives you positive feelings; 2) the work is not interesting; 3) the work involves doing the same things again and again; 4) the work is difficult and makes you tired:
repetitive, dull,satisfying, boring,demanding, routine, stimulating, tough, hard, uninteresting, fascinating, exciting, unstimulating, tiring